The insurance market for on-water paddlesport activities is challenging. The ACA offers the opportunity for currently certified Instructors and Instructor Trainers to insure paddlesport activities at an affordable rate. The ACA insurance coverage allows courses to be conducted on a variety of classes of water.
ACA Instructors and Instructor Trainers can request insurance to cover courses they teach that contain all of, or parts of the information contained in the current ACA Course Outlines found on this website. Instructors and Trainers can only request insurance to teach courses at or below their current certification level.
How to Video
- Insurance for Instructors (YouTube)
To request insurance through the ACA General Liability Insurance Policy, an ACA Instructor or Instructor Trainer must be in good standing, which includes:
- Current ACA Membership & SEIC dues
- Appropriate level and discipline of ACA certification for the course
- Appropriate First Aid & CPR certification (proof is required and should be sumbitted with insurance request)
Scheduling your Course
Submit the appropriate ACA Course Registration Form to the Safety Education & Instruction Department:
- Skills Course Registration Form
- Assessment Course Registration Form
- Certification Course Registration Form
Under the Instructor Insurance Program, each individual course requires sanctioning fees, and they must be paid online or accompany the appropraite course registration form in order for the insurance request to be processed.
- Insurance Sanctioning Fees are $20, per course
- must be logged in to your online ACA account to receive this rate
- Additional Rush Fee - $25, if Insurance Request Form is received less than 10 days prior to the start of the course
- Additional Insureds Fee - $20, for each additional insured
All insurance requests must be received by the National Office no less than 1 business day prior to the start of the course. If your course needs to name a third party such as a landowner or government agency as an "additional insured" under the policy, fill out the Additional Insureds portion of the appropriate course registration form and we will request an insurance certificate for the third party. All fees are non-refundable.
Running your Course
The ACA's insurance program requires Instructors and Instructor Trainers to satisfy three requirements:
- Only content contained within the official ACA Course Outlines, found on this website, may be taught, in whole or in part, in the appropriate venue by an appropriately certified ACA Instructor or Instructor Trainer
- Every participant, including lead and assisting instructors and trainers must sign the ACA Waiver and Release of Liability form prior to participation in the course
- ACA Adult Waiver & Release of Liability, or
- ACA Minor Waiver & Release of Liability (Under age 18 at the time of registration)
- Every participant must be an ACA member in one of the following categories:
- A current, valid ACA annual membership
- An ACA introductory membership, either pre-existing or purchased at the time of the course. The Instructor or Instructor Trainer can sell these memberships to participants on the day of the activity for $15. (information is found at the top of the ACA Waiver)
- An Event Membership purchased at the time of the course, and lasting for the duration of that course. Individual Event Memberships are only $5 per person. Instructors and Trainers may advance purchase Event Memberships in bulk for $4 each (minimum order 25). Please contact the ACA Membership Department for bulk Event Membership purchases
Upon completion of the course (within 7 days of the last day of the course, 30 days for assessment and certification courses), be sure to submit:
- All fees collected at the event
- Original copies of the signed ACA approved waivers (Adult & Minor) for all participants
- Appropriate Final Course Report Form (submitted online, or via email, fax or U.S. Mail)
- Note: Final Course Report Forms received 30 days after the last day of an insured course are subject to a $25 late reporting fee. Report Forms received after 90 days are subject to a $75 late reporting fee.
Forms & Resources
Skills Course Registration Form (Online / Word / PDF)
Skills Course Report Form (Online / Word / PDF)
Assessment Course Registration Form (Online / Word / PDF)
Assessment Course Report Form (Online / Word / PDF)
- Instructor Certification Courses
Certification Course Registration Form (Online / Word / PDF)
Certification Course Report Form (Online / Word / PDF)
- ACA Incident / Accident Report Form (Word / PDF)
- ACA Waiver & Release of Liability - Adult
- ACA Waiver & Release of Liability - Minor (Under age 18 at the time of registration)
For questions and additional information, contact the ACA Insurance Coordinator or the Safety Education & Instruction Department.