The purpose of the Whitewater Open Canoe Downriver Committee is: to encourage, sanction and sponsor amateur competition in "whitewater open canoe” at local, regional, national, and international levels.
A whitewater open canoe is a traditional open Canadian or Native American canoe, which is a boat with ends pointed and higher than the middle, symmetrical side-to-side, and propelled with single bladed paddles. There are two categories of canoes used in WWOCD competitions. They are defined as Formula 16 and Formula 14. The Formula 16 classes are intended to include canoes sold for general recreational use. In general, ABS, polyethylene, aluminum and wood/canvas canoes will qualify for inclusion (assuming they meet all weight and dimension requirements) while fiberglass/kevlar/composite and woodstrip canoes will generally be included in the Formula 14 classes. A canoe MUST be or have been a commercially available, general production model to qualify for the Formula 16 classes.
2013 WWOCD National Championships:
- Date: June 16-19, 2013
- Location: Nantahala River, NC
- Online registration and waivers will be available here in May
- For more information, please contact race director Keith Havens
- Sponsors: ACA, CBoats.net, NOC
Results - WWOCD National Championship Races:
- 2013 Results - TBD!
- 2012 Results - Nantahala River, NC
- 2011 Results - Deerfield River, MA
- 2010 Results - Arkansas River, CO
- 2009 Results - Kennebec & Dead Rivers, ME
- 2008 Results - French Broad River, NC
- 2007 Results - Youghiogheny River, PA
- 2006 Results - Deerfield River, MA
- 2005 Results - Lower Dead River, ME
- 2004 Results - Arkansas River, CO
- 2003 Results - Nantahala River, NC
- 2002 Results - Deerfield River, MA
- 2001 Results - Youghiogheny River, PA
Whitewater Open Canoe Downriver Governance:
Whitewater Open Canoe Downriver Links: